How to use AD-Browser
- Start AD-Browser
- Show Containers, Configuration and Schema
- Browse © Active Directory (OU)
- Search © Active Directory
- Change the Search Filter (predefined Filters)
- Delete a Column
- View Properties
- Export ListView
- Export TreeView
- Export all Group Policies
1. Start AD-Browser
Use a PC which was joined to the Domain to start AD-Browser
adbrowser.exe) as Domain User or Domain Admin.
AD-Browser shows Organizational Units (OU) in the TreeView.
2. Show Containers, Configuration and Schema
Use menu Show/Containers, Configuration and Schema to see the containers in the TreeView.
3. Browse © Active Directory (OU)
In the TreeView click an OU or a CN.
The properties of the item are shown in the ListView.
4. Search © Active Directory
To search Active Directory click in the
TreeView to select an OU to start.
Next you may Change the Search Filter (predefined Filters).
Now press the
ENTER Key or the Find Button.
The cursor changes to a hourglass while searching. The number of objects
found is displayed in the Statusbar.
Use this check box to see all attributes
This means: Show all attributes for the objects found in the current OU.
adbrowser.cfg to specify a list of prefered attributes.
Use this check box to specify the search dept.
This means: Search in the whole tree under the selected OU or CN in TreeView.
ADsPath you can cut the
LDAP object prefix with
navigate in the history hold by AD-Browser (visted OUs and CNs).
5. Change the Search Filter (predefined Filters)
The second ComboBox contains the following
adbrowser.cfg to extend this list of filters.
In the Menu Show the following filters are predefined:
- Group Members (all members of selected group)
- Computers in current OU (not locked)
- Locked Computers in current OU
- Users in current OU (not locked)
- Locked Users in current OU
The LDAP search syntax allowes to build further search filters that combine several criterias:
|all users with surename 'miller'
|all users with a mail attribute that contains 'test.com'
|all users with an empty mail attribute (not set)
|all locked users
|all not locked computers
6. Delete a Column
To delete a column in ListView do a right mouse button click on the ListView Header.
7. View Properties
To view object properties do the following:
- Mark an object in ListView
- A double click will show the Properties in the Web-Browser
- If the object is a
AD-Browser will try to show more details:
- Registry entries (machine, user)
- Preferences (machine, user)
- Scripts (startup, logon, logoff, shutdown)
- Security settings (machine
- Folder redirection (user
- MSI Files to be deployed via GPO
- If the object is a
group all group members are shown
in the row
also for a large number of members (
8. Export ListView
To export the current ListView choose
File/Save List View (*.htm) from the menu.
This will create a
If you specify a
*.txt file a
seperated Textfile wil be created.
9. Export TreeView
To export the current TreeView choose
File/Save Tree View (*.txt) from the menu.
This will save a
TAB seperated Textfile.
10. Export all Group Policies
To export all Group Policies choose
File/Save all GPOs in a folder from the menu.